GOSA purchased Sheep Farm South, a 104-acre parcel on April 21, 2021.
Sheep Farm South is located within a densely populated area in central Groton, close to schools, bus routes and other services, this property abuts, and will extend, the special wildlife habitats, scenic trails, and stream corridors of GOSA’s existing 63-acre Sheep Farm property.
Sheep Farm South flows into Fort Hill Brook and Long Island Sound. Preservation of Sheep Farm South in its natural state will protect these waters from potential pollution and thermal impacts to vulnerable areas downstream.
Sheep Farm South is key to a north-south greenbelt and will connect, across Rte. 1, to GOSA’s The Merritt Family Forest and the town’s X-Town Trail. The X Town trail extends to Bluff Point for those looking for a long hike.
This property had been in continuous use as a farm since the 18th century and well into the 1990’s. The Groton Town owned Jabez Smith House Museum nearby on Route 117, and the Sheep Farm and Sheep Farm South were once part of the same property.
- The Sheep Farm South has a diverse habitat including rocky outcroppings, glacial erratics, deep forest interior habitat, early successional forests, extensive wetlands, seeps, shrub swamps, and Tier 1 vernal pools.
- A portion of the ancient Avalonia Shield on the Sheep Farm South features rocky outcroppings and the steep slopes of a glacial drumlin, Fort Hill. Glacial activity is also apparent on the scarred rock faces and in the form of large erratic boulders.
- Wooded swamps and seeps provide stormwater filtration and flood control for vulnerable areas downstream.
- Overland and underground water flow to Fort Hill Brook and Long Island Sound.
- The entire site provides upland habitat, critical to the survival of the vernal pool species from both sides of the property boundaries.
Plan Your Visit
Walking – level grassy area near the entrance
Hiking – trails with varied levels of difficulty
Bird and Wildlife Viewing – field, forest and wetland habitat, 75 species of birds known in the area
Art Opportunities – photography, painting, drawing
Winter Activities – snow shoeing, cross-country skiing
Did you visit Sheep Farm South? Let us know how your trip was! We love to hear feedback about our properties.